Homeless Student Services


In association with the Kent ISD Homeless Consortium and the State of Michigan’s Department of Education Homeless Program and in accordance with the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act of 2001, Allegan Public Schools strives to eliminate barriers to education for homeless children and youth by addressing and supporting the educational needs of students who find themselves in temporary or transitional housing during the school year.


George MohrGeorge Mohr
Email George Mohr
PHONE: (269) 673-5431 x3029


Who is a homeless student?

A child who lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence. The child may live in a shelter, a temporary home (grandparent, aunt, uncle, sibling, family friend), a motel, a car, a campground, or on the street. Any concerns regarding a student’s living status should be referred to the Homeless Liaison.

Which school can a homeless student attend?

A homeless student can attend the school that serves the address where the student is temporarily living or the “School of Origin” (the school that the student attended prior to becoming homeless). The student can stay in the school for as long as the student is homeless or until the end of the school year, if the student becomes permanently housed. A student is only considered homeless for the current school year.

Who decides which school a homeless student will attend?

It is up to the parent/guardian/caregiver and the Homeless Liaison to decide what is in the student’s best interest. The parent/guardian/caregiver should think about which school would be better for the child.

Is transportation provided?

Yes, transportation is provided to the school which is determined to be in the child’s best interest. The 1.0-mile rule applies to determine if the child will be a “walker.” If a homeless student’s residence is outside of the Allegan Public Schools district, the Homeless Liaison will help to arrange transportation back to their “School of Origin.”

Does residency have to be proven?

No. Schools must enroll homeless students right away with or without records of residency. Specifics of a student’s homeless status will be reviewed and assistance will be provided in securing the required documents. Questions should be referred to the Homeless Liaison.

Are services available?

Yes. We can help with school records, school materials, school meal programs, and special education services. We can also help with food, clothing, and medical assistance by providing referral information. We may be able to help with tutoring.

Can school fees be waived?

Yes. If you cannot afford fees, they can be waived. This includes field trip fees, participation fees, etc. Questions should be referred to the Homeless Liaison.

Is there a right to appeal?

Yes. A parent may appeal decision(s) regarding a child’s education. For example, if you disagree with a decision about school enrollment, school transportation, or waiver of fees, you can appeal. You can be advised of the appeal process by contacting the Homeless Liaison.